Antonio Brown Pleads Not Guilty in Miami Attempted Murder Case

Former NFL wide receiver Antonio Brown has pleaded not guilty to an attempted murder charge connected to a May shooting in Miami. Brown’s attorney, Mark Eiglarsh, confirmed that his client submitted a written plea in advance of a scheduled bond hearing, which could take place as soon as this Wednesday in Miami-Dade County court.

According to Eiglarsh, Brown acted in self-defense during what he described as a confrontation with an individual Brown had longstanding issues with. “The actions he was forced to take were solely in self-defense against the alleged victim’s violent behavior,” said Eiglarsh. “Brown was attacked that night and acted within his legal right to protect himself.”

The charge stems from an incident that occurred during or around a boxing event in May hosted by popular streamer Adin Ross in South Florida. The event drew visible figures from the social media and entertainment world, with sponsored fights and large crowds. After the matches, videos on social media showed a chaotic scene unfolding in a parking lot, where Brown was seen getting into an altercation involving several individuals. At one point, a gunshot could be heard as a crowd scattered in apparent panic.

The alleged victim in the case has been publicly identified as Zul-Qarnain Kwame Nantambu. He previously made headlines in February for waving a Palestinian flag during Kendrick Lamar’s Super Bowl halftime show. In June, Nantambu was arrested in a separate incident for allegedly resisting an officer and disturbing a lawful assembly, though officials have not confirmed whether that incident is directly connected to the charges against Brown.

Brown has admitted to slamming a security guard during the May confrontation, and he reportedly told police on the scene that he hadn’t fired a weapon or committed an assault. However, within a month, the Washington Post reported that authorities had issued a warrant for his arrest.

Brown’s legal history includes multiple past criminal and civil cases. In 2019, he was sued for rape and sexual misconduct, eventually settling out of court. In 2020, he pleaded no contest to felony battery and burglary involving a moving truck driver. He was also arrested in 2023 on charges related to unpaid child support.

Once regarded as one of the NFL’s top receivers, with stops in Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, and New England, Brown’s football career has been overshadowed in recent years by frequent off-field controversies. This latest case marks one of the most serious criminal accusations he has faced so far.

As the legal process unfolds, Brown’s defense team maintains that he was reacting to a physical threat and did not initiate the violent encounter that led to the charges.

His bond hearing is expected to shed more light on the state’s evidence and whether Brown will remain in custody as the case moves forward in Miami.

author avatar
Marcus Vega

Posted by Marcus Vega